Dehydrated? Rehydrate on ORSBiotic!
ORSBiotic is one of Medlab’s latest product releases and, even though ORSBiotic is in its early stages, is proving itself to be an efficient means in replacing fluids lost due to vomiting, diarrhoea or strenuous physical activity.
ORS (oral rehydration salts) Biotic provides essential electrolytes and various probiotic species, therefore is ideal for supporting for a number of triggers of diarrhoea in both adults and children.
Diarrhoea is defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as three or more loose or watery stools (taking the shape of the toilet bowl) in a 24-hour period.
These triggers include:
- Viral, Bacterial and Parasitical Infections
- Antibiotic associated
- Clostridium difficile – associated. Clostridium difficile is one particularly dangerous organism that may colonise the gut if the normal healthy balance has been disturbed. Clostridium difficile-related disease varies from asymptomatic infection, diarrhoea, colitis to death.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and other gastrointestinal disorders
- Malabsorption: Lactose and Gluten Intolerance
WHO has determined that using a low sodium, low glucose ORS formulation reduces the need for intravenous fluids by 33%. The effect of this reduction could result in fewer children requiring hospitalisation, fewer secondary infections, a diminished need to handle blood and lower health care costs.
Medlab has designed ORSBiotic to:
- Replace water and electrolytes lost due to vomiting, diarrhoea, heavy sweating, fever, vigorous exercise and other dehydrating conditions.
- Provide supplementary zinc which benefits children with diarrhoea.
- Allow co-transport of glucose with sodium which accelerates water absorption.
- Provide selected probiotic species which maintain healthy gastrointestinal homeostasis and permeability.
A Word on Zinc
Zinc supplementation has been found to reduce the duration and severity of diarrhoea episodes and likelihood of subsequent infections for 2–3 months.
Clinical trials have determined that in conjunction with ORS, routine use of zinc supplementation at a dosage of 20 milligrams per day for children older than six months or 10 mg per day in those younger than six months, for 10–14 days effectively manages acute diarrhoea.
Supplementary zinc benefits both children and adults with diarrhoea as it is a vital micronutrient essential for protein synthesis, cell growth and differentiation, immune function, and intestinal transport of water and electrolytes. Zinc is also important for normal growth and development of children both with and without diarrhoea . Zinc deficiency is associated with an increased risk of gastrointestinal infections, adverse effects on the structure and function of the gastrointestinal tract, and impaired immune function.
What is in ORSBiotic?
Each 5 gram dose of ORS Biotic contains:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae ssp. boulardii (Med 41) 2 billion CFU
Lactobacillus gasseri (Med 23) 2 billion CFU
Lactobacillus plantarum (Med 25) 2 billion CFU
Bifidobacterium breve (Med 12) 2 billion CFU
Sodium Chloride 533.2 mg
equiv. Sodium 209.7 mg (46 mmol/L)
equiv. Chloride 323.5 mg (46 mmol/L)
Potassium Citrate 449.1 mg
equiv. Potassium 162.6 mg (22 mmol/L)
equiv. Citrate 261.8 mg (30 mmol/L)
Glucose Anhydrous 2.5 g (71 mmol/L)
Citric Acid Anhydrous 890.5 mg
Zinc Gluconate 44.8 mg (1 mmol/L)
equiv. Zinc 6.4 mg 0.5 mmol/L
Total Colony Forming Units (CFU) 8 billion (216.5 mmol/L)
Click here to read about the therapeutic value of differing probiotic species and strains.
Add 5 g of powder (1 scoop) to 200mL of cold water immediately before use and stir well 2-3 times a day.
Add 5 g of powder (1 scoop) to 200mL of cold water immediately before use and stir well. Sip either during or after exercise.
Recommended dose for children under 3 years is 100mL every 90 minutes.
Children aged 3-6 years is 100mL every 60 minutes.
Children aged 6-12 years is 100mL every 30 minutes.
Children aged over 12 years is 200mL every 30 minutes.
WARNING: If diarrhoea persists for more than 6 hours in infants under 6 months, 12 hours in children under 3 years, 24 hours in children aged 3-6 years or 48 hours in adults and children over 6 years, seek medical advice.
Utilising a WHO approved formula and based on clinical trials, ORS Biotic will help reduce the impact of dehydration in cases of acute diarrhoea or after strenuous exercise.
By helping to replenish fluids, essential electrolytes and selected probiotics for the health of your gut, ORS Biotic is your go-to product for the whole family.
Contact Emed today for more information.
- Probiotics – Exploring Species and Strains
- Research Insight – Probiotics Help Prevent Antibiotic-Related Diarrhoea
- A Prescription for Problems: The Dangers of Antibiotics
- Probiotics, The Answer to IBD?
- Do You Have a Leaky Gut?
- Leaky Gut – A Pathway Towards Disease