Fish Oil Reduces Breast Cancer Risk by 33%
A recent study has revealed that women who take fish oil supplements may have a 33% decreased risk of developing breast cancer than those who don’t.
This large-scale study involved more than 35,000 post-menopausal women. Researchers found that those who regularly use fish oil supplements were one-third less likely than non-users to develop breast cancer over the next six years.
Surprisingly, the lower risk was even seen in women with known and suspected risk factors for breast cancer taken into account, including older age, obesity, heavy drinking and sedentary lifestyles. It was not mentioned whether smokers were included in the study.
The study, published in the journal ‘Cancer Epidemiology, Biomakers & Prevention’, looked at the question by asking 35,016 women, ages 50 to 76 about their current and past use of fish oil and certain other supplements.
The researchers followed the women for an average of six years to document any diagnoses of breast cancer. During that time, 880 women were diagnosed with the disease.
Among the women who developed breast cancer, 5 per cent has reported regularly using fish oil at the study’s outset. Among women who remained cancer-free, 8 per cent had been current fish oil users at the outset.
Fish oil use at the start of the study was related to a one-third lower risk of developing breast cancer compared with non-use. Factors like age, weight, self-reported diet, exercise habits and genetic predisposition to breast cancer were also taken into account.
According to senior researcher, Dr. Emily White, it is biologically plausible that fish oil could affect breast cancer development. Fish oil is known to have anti-inflammatory effects, and chronic inflammation in the body is thought to play a role in the growth and spread of cancer cells, White explained.
There is a vast array of benefits that can come from taking fish oil. Cancer prevention is just one of them.
Fish oil, as explained, is a great anti-inflammatory. As inflammation is the driving force behind most illnesses and disease (read our article on inflammation), reducing the inflammation at a cellular level should theoretically prevent disease.
Apart from being a brilliant natural anti-inflammatory, fish oil is also great for treating/preventing:
- Migraine headaches
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer
- Gastric ulcers
- Heart attacks
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (including Crohn’s disease)
- Skin conditions
- High cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Poor memory
- Poor concentration
- Some mental illnesses
This was a great study, however we can only assume that the participants were taking a pharmacy or supermarket-bought fish oil capsule.
Pharmacy or supermarket-bought fish oil’s are generally quite low in EPA and DHA (the active omega-3’s), and with only a low dosage suggested on the labelling, the participants would only receive limited benefits (Read ‘When Oils Ain’t Oils’).
Surely, if they were taking a premium quality fish oil capsule, like those on Emed’s Best Fish Oil’s, the benefits could be increased dramatically. The fish oil’s available on Emed are the strongest, purest and most effective on the market. They are backed by scientific research to provide effective relief from a range of conditions, with long-term benefits too.
Most standard dosage suggestions recommend far too low a dose. For maximum effectiveness, you really need to take 2-6 capsules of the premium, Practitioner-only strength fish oils.
However, although it’s tempting to rush out any buy a fish oil straight away, it’s best to know exactly how much fish oil you need to take.
Everyone’s different, so a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work. Get your Essential Fatty Acid test from Emed and find out how to achieve maximum results from your supplements.
What else can I do?
Preventing cancer isn’t just about taking some fish oil everyday. Preventing disease and illness is about living a healthy life – making healthy choices everyday to give yourself the best chance of avoiding disease.
- Experiencing chronic inflammation and illness is not only bad for your health – it’s a great way to encourage disease in the future. Address the areas of your health that are lacking with the Emed Online Consulatation. We can help to diagnose key areas of your health, and provide the natural medicine to combat the complaint. Click here to learn more about this consultation.
- How well do you eat? Eating healthy ‘sometimes’ simply isn’t good enough. Read Health Promoting Nutrition for some advice on how you should eat to prevent disease and ill health.
- Exercise often? Vigorous exercise has been shown to reduce breast cancer risk, and also aids the body in running efficiently, effectively and healthily.
- Taking a multivitamin? Rarely will we ever get all the vitamins and minerals we need to maintain optimal health. Taking a premium multivitamin, like those found on Emed’s Best Multivitamins, will provide your body with the nutrition it needs to work properly.
- Lay off the junk. Soft drinks have been shown to promote your chance of contracting cancer. Click here for more information.