Small Meal Ideas
Some people prefer to eat small amounts more often, and for thosepeople, here are a few snacks and small meals that fall into the 500kJbracket.
Allow your digestive system two to three hours between eating eachmeal and make sure you enjoy five serves of vegetables regardless ofhow many meals you eat.
The lowest daily energy intake recommended for healthy weight loss is6,500kJ.
Combined with regular exercise, on 6,500kJ a day you can loseweight, maintain energy levels and feel great.Your main meals shouldbe between 1200 and 2400kJ with snacks falling in at around 300 to500kJ.
Our top 500kj snacks:
- 1 boiled egg with 2 wholegrain crackers (no butter)
- 1 slice sourdough bread toasted and spread with 1 tsp tahini or 1 slice avocado
- 6 large strawberries and 1/2 cup blackberries with 1/3 cup low fat skimmed milk plain yoghurt
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt mixed with 3 tsp sunflower seeds and 4 chopped dried apricot halves
- Fresh juice made from 1/2 apple, 2 carrots, 3 sticks celery, 1/2 beetroot, 1/4 lemon and a knob of ginger
- 10 almonds, 4 cashews and 1 brazil nut
- Rice thins spread with 2 tbsp low fat cottage cheese and 1 small sliced tomato
- 1 small green apple, with 30 grams of low fat cheddar cheese and 1 tbs raisins
- 4 pieces of sushi with raw salmon or tuna
- 1 rice cake with 2 slices avocado and 1 tomato
- 50g sliced chicken breast with 5 cm cubed cucumber, 1 tomato, 1 cup rocket and 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small can tuna in water, 1 chopped celery stick, 1 shallot, 1/2 cut salad greens and lemon juice
- Chilli beef made with 50g lean premium mince, 1/2 cup canned tomatoes, 1/2 onion, 2 capsicum rings and 1/2 tsp chilli powder – served with shredded greens
- Mushroom omelette made with 1/3 cup mushrooms, 1 egg white beaten with 1 small egg, mushrooms cooked in 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup eggplant dip with 2 celery stalks, 1 carrot, 1 capsicum ring and 1/2 piece mountain bread
- Mountain bread salad wrap – 1 slice barley mountain bread, 1 slice avocado, 10 capers, chopped capsicum, chopped cucumber, lettuce and sprouts