Steak and Eggs – Best for Muscle
- Rump or sirloin steak
- 2 free-range eggs
- A good slug of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour olive oil into a heavy-bottomed pan and heat it until you see the oil start to smoke.
- Place your steak in the oil and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium-rare, 7-8 each side for well-done. Season while in the pan.
- Remove steak and put aside to rest while you fry your eggs.
- Add a dash more olive oil to the same pan, the heat turned down low, and combine with the carmelised juices from the steak.
- Crack your eggs into the oil and fry gently until the whites are just set and the yolks runny. Serve immediately with the steak.
Stats: 2800 kilojoules, 1 gram carbohydrates, 93 grams protein, 14 gram saturated fat.
Professional sportsmen tend to fill up on pasta before training these days, but a University of Illinois study reports that a pre-workout meal of steak and eggs will help you burn more body fat and increase muscle tone. Eggs, particularly, are your secret weapon because their superior protein content contains all the necessary amino acids required for lean tissue growth. That's pumping up in our language.