10 Christmas Accident Funny Facts
A cocktail of excitement, stress, tiredness and alcohol can create unexpected hazards in the home at Christmas.
More than 80,000 people a year need hospital treatment for injuries such as falls, cuts and burns during the festive period.
1. Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after cracker pulling accidents.
2. Three people die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.
3. Five people were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.
4. Eight people cracked their skull in 1997 after falling asleep while throwing up into the toilet.
5. Eighteen people had serious burns in 1998 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.
6. Nineteen people have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.
7. Thirty one people have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.
8. Fifty eight people are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.
9. One hundred and one people since 1997 have had to have broken parts of plastic toys pulled out of the soles of their feet.
10. One hundred and forty two people were injured in 1998 by not removing all pins from new shirts.