Your Hay Fever Prevention Kit
The onset of spring brings more than just sunshine. It is also the time for hayfever.
For some, this time of year can be an unpleasant combination of watery eyes, itchy nose and mouth, congested sinuses and sneezing.
Instead of automatically reaching for the antihistamine medication however, consider some of these nutrients as your defence against the dreaded hayfever.
Well known for its immune enhancing properties, Vitamin C is also an effective antihistamine. It works by reducing the release of histamine from the white blood cells. Aim for 2g per day to have an effect.
Acting as an antioxidant, zinc reduces the intensity of hay fever symptoms by its effect on the mucous membranes. It stabilises the membrane structure so that it is less reactive. The recommended dose is 25mg daily.
The correct balance of intestinal microflora will protect us against allergies. Acting as our surveillance squad, probiotics will prevent irritating antigens from circulating throughout our intestinal mucosa.
A particular strain of probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG has indicated its effectiveness in reducing allergies as it suppresses our IgE production (antibodies produced against invaders).
Quercetin has demonstrated its ability to stabilise the mast cells and basophils thereby preventing histamine release. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory.
An enzyme extracted from pineapples, bromelain can effectively break down mucous production as well as reduce the severity of sinus complaints.
Perilla frutescens and Albizia lebbeck are your anti-allergic herbs. Both contain constituents that can influence our mast cells and prevent the release of histamine
Get in early and boost your allergy defenses. Here are some products to keep handy in your Hay Fever Prevention Kit
- Bioceuticals Ultra Potent C – Contains 1.8mg of Vitamin C
- Zinc Drink – An effective way to boost zinc levels, this liquid formula provides 11mg zinc in only 1ml
- MH Enhance Zinc Protect – This tablet provides 30mg of zinc with additional co-factors to promote absorption
- BioCeuticals Ultrabiotic 45 – A comprehensive probiotic, UltraBiotic 45 contains a range of beneficial bacteria including Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- High Potency Probiotic with Colostrum – A good probiotic to promote gut health that includes Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Probiotic formula containing Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG – Specific for allergies, this product contains a therapeutic dose of Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Natural Nasal Spray – This can be used for topical relief from sinus congestion due to allergies
- Rapid allergy and hey fever relief – Combining Perilla, Albizia and Quercetin, this formula is effective at preventing the onset of allergies
- BioCeuticals Allergy Care – A mix of anti-allergenic herbs and nutrients to relieve and reduce seasonal allergy symptoms, preventing histamine release and support normal healthy immune function.