Goat's Milk Soap – The Saving Grace for Sensitive Skin
Acne, dermatitis and psoriasis can affect anyone, leading to rashes, scaly, itchy and often painful skin conditions.
Most commercial creams formulated for these conditions contain an array of harsh chemicals that often leave the skin feeling dry, sore and in a poor state.
Soap and beauty products made from cow’s milk have excelled in the beauty market for many decades, however the recent emergence of goat’s milk soap may change the trends.
Goat’s milk soap offers great benefits since it has a similar pH level to that of our own skin.
For those who suffer from acne, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis or sensitive skin, using an acidic beauty product (think most commercial soaps, cleansers etc) can exacerbate the condition.
The addition of benzoyl peroxide, sodium lauryl sulfate, accutane and a huge array of other harmful chemicals all cause some harsh side effects to our skin. Those side effects would, most of the time, include heavy or severe irritation or rashes – bad news if you already have trouble with your skin.
Goat’s milk soap contains a number of different vitamins and nutrients – Vitamins C, D, B and A, as well as zinc, proteins, fatty acids and iron.
These nutrients, especially zinc, are pivotal for the health of the skin, and as they exhibit their anti-inflammatory benefits, redness, swelling and irritation will be reduced.
As the molecules of goat’s milk soap are smaller than those of cow’s milk and many other compounds, the nutrients are absorbed directly into the skin, helping to heal the immediate area of irritation or soreness.
Goat’s milk soap is also ideal for children and babies. It’s low-pH level and gentle cleansing properties will help to ease eczema, acne and irritation from your little one’s skin.
Goat’s milk also contains alpha-hydroxy acid, which acts as a natural exfoliant that removes dead skin cells from the skin, without disrupting the pH balance or causing abrasion.
Goat’s milk soap includes the benefit of being free from alcohol, petroleum or preservatives. This helps to reduce skin irritation and itchiness for those with sensitive skin or eczema.
But all these benefits are lost if you choose a low-quality goat’s milk soap. With the recent emergence of the benefits of goat’s milk soap, many inferior products have been brought out that still include the harsh chemicals and additives that will exacerbate skin conditions.
It is important that you choose a top-quality, natural brand that will encourage the skin to heal – minus the nasty side-effects.
The Billy Goat Soap brand has recently received a lot of media attention. Originally developed by a mother trying to help her ezcema-prone son, the company has made leaps and bounds, churning out thousands of bars of goat’s milk soap every day.
We carry a large range of Billy Goat Soap, each offering skin-soothing benefits without the addition of chemicals or abrasives. Each bar is made using natural ingredients, like goat’s milk, olive oil and natural scents and colouring. The Emed staff have all tried it, and with great results.
If you know someone who suffers from acne, eczema, dermatitis or sensitive skin, Billy Goat Soap is an ideal option. Click here to find out more about Billy Goat Soap.
What else can I do?
- Start supplementing with fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil play a crucial role in skin health by reducing inflammatory responses – dispersing swelling, rashes, acne, eczema and dermatitis. Fish Oil has long been known for it’s positive benefits for the cardiovascular and respiratory systems and the reduction of inflammatory disease and even some forms of cancer, however it’s most obvious benefits aid in skin condition.
For the Best Fish Oils that are ideal for teenagers and adults, click here. For fish oils that are great for your kids, click here. These fast-acting and potent fish oils don’t have any fishy aftertaste and can be easily incorporated into their food for complaint-free supplementation.
- Choose natural products. When you purchase products that are 100% natural, you can rest assured that you are not using artificial ingredients or chemicals.
Emed stocks a great range of organic skin, body, hair and home care products. Brands like the Purist Company’s Al’chemy and A’kin, and Avalon Organics line are certified organic, and contain no artificial chemicals or SLS.
Use natural cleaning products in your home. Chemicals don’t just have to be applied to skin to be dangerous. B_E_E have a large range of house-cleaning products that are 100% natural, and will leave your home as clean as regular cleaning products.
- Always read the label. If you can’t understand most of the ingredients – then avoid it. Check the label for SLES as well.
- Avoid artificial fragrances. The natural products we stock use essential oils to add fragrance, but avoid those that use artificial fragrances as they often irritate the skin.
- Check for artificial colouring in the ingredient list. When it comes to protecting your skin it is best to remain chemical free?
- Do not use products that contain formaldehyde. This dangerous chemical causes a huge range of problems such as rashes, headaches, nausea and burning eyes.
- Age gracefully. Avoid excess sun exposure, and drink plenty of water.