Simple Snack Ideas
Many people avoid snacks because they are afraid that snacks contribute to weight gain. However, a healthy snack can offer many health benefits and can even be included in a weight loss plan.
Having a snack between meals prevents you from becoming so hungry that you reach for unhealthy junk food. A healthy snack helps prevent blood sugar and energy level fluctuations and keeps hunger at bay allowing you to stick to a moderate amount of food with your next meal.
Eating a small snack in the afternoon will get you through your tasks more quickly and efficiently. As long as you choose nutritious snacks, snacking will also help you meet your nutrient needs for the day and will get you through your tasks more quickly and efficiently.
However, snacking out of boredom or for other emotional reasons isn’t healthy and can lead to overeating and weight gain.
Choosing the right snack is an area where many people struggle. At first glance, it might seem like the choices are quite limited and that snacking is less than ideal altogether. That is why we have included some quick and easy suggestions for you.
Quick Snack Options
- An avocado and a spoon
- Peeled, hard-boiled eggs
- Black and green olives
- Fruit in coconut milk
- Seasonal fruit on it’s own
- A young fresh coconut
- Coconut yoghurt
- Protein Shake
- Steamed chicken and avocado
- A handful of your favourite nuts (activate them, then season them)
- Veg sticks (capsicum, cucumber, celery, carrot) and nut butter
- Spicy pumpkin seeds
- Ricotta stuffed mini bell peppers (capsicum)
- Spicy coconut king prawns
- Turkey slices rolled up with avocado or ricotta
Weight Loss Paleo Snack Suggestions
When you have weight to lose, snacks are dangerous territory! Some snacks, such as nuts and fruit are easy to overdo and can sabotage your weight loss efforts.
If you’re constantly hungry, make sure your meals are sufficient and try adding more fat. These low-calorie snack ideas are going to be a better bet for weight loss on a Paleo diet
- Make some rice-less Sushi using nori wraps, lengths of veggies, avocado, quinoa, egg or fish
- Make a small omelette with your favourite vegetables
- Carrot and celery sticks with an almond, macadamia or cashew butter spread.
- Fresh salmon on cucumber slices
- Cucumber sticks with a guacamole dip
- Capsicum (Bell Pepper) strips with a homemade spicy salsa
- Carrot and celery sticks with cashew cream
- Mini bacon & guacamole “sandwiches”
- Roast vegetables with a dipping sauce
- Home-made sauerkraut
- Make up some nori “chips” in the oven with coconut oil and seasoning with spice
- Kale chips
- Lettuce wraps – instead of bread, use lettuce to wrap your sandwich filling
- Mashed sweet potato, pumpkin or parsnip
- Make a batch of egg muffins with your favourite ingredients
- Steamed mashed cauliflower
After Dinner Paleo Snack Ideas
“Something” sweet, without going overboard
- Keep it simple with some squares of very dark chocolate
- Make some chocolate coated almond and coconut bites
- Dip strawberries and blueberries in chocolate
- Make some “Paleo Cookies” using almond meal
- Make coconut flour berry muffins/ “cakes
- Coconut flour pancakes
- Baked apples with cinnamon and coconut cream
- A simple fruit salad
- Cacao balls
- Chia pudding
Drink Your Paleo Snack
With a flask or thermos and some preparation, you can have a drinkable snack with you wherever you go.
- Bone broth
- A green smoothie (remember to add in a fat source like avocado or coconut milk from your favourite recipe)