Omega 3’s Linked Your Body Clock
Omega 3’s Linked to a Younger Biological Age
Adequate Essential Fatty Acid intake can protect against a range of conditions, and in this study, researchers have shown that supplementing with omega-3’s can actually help prevent cellular ageing and as a result, can help you live longer.
Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco, looked at telomere length in blood cells of 608 outpatients with stable coronary artery disease and examined whether supplementation with Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) has any effect on the condition. Telomeres are DNA sequences at the end of chromosomes that shorten as cells replicate and age.
Good EFA levels, especially omega-3, can help to prolong the life of cells in patients with Coronary Artery disease. This supports the concept that you may have a longer life by using optimal amounts of EFA, as it decreases the rate of death or decay within the cell.
By comparing levels of omega-3 fatty acids, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) with subsequent change in telomere length, the researchers found that individuals with the lowest average levels experienced the most rapid rate of telomere shortening, while people with the highest average blood levels experienced the slowest rate of telomere shortening.
The length of telomeres was measured in leukocytes at the start of the study and again after 5 years.
The authors wrote “Each 1-standard deviation increase in DHA plus EPA levels was associated with a 32% reduction in the odds of telomere shortening.”
Dr Farzaneh-Far and his co-workers noted that this may be linked to oxidative stress, known to drive telomere shortening.
“Among patients with stable coronary artery disease, there was an inverse relationship between baseline blood levels of marine omega-3 fatty acids and the rate of telomere shortening over 5 years.”
“These findings raise the possibility that omega-3 fatty acids may protect against cellular ageing in patients with coronary heart disease.”
Translation? Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the degree of cellular ageing, particularly in people who suffer from heart disease.
For many years, a growing body of evidence has developed supporting omega-3’s positive benefits for heart disease, inflammation reduction, stroke reduction and cell health. This research offers a strong hope that fish oil (and other omega-3 sources) can actually save lives if taken early enough.
Omega-3 fatty acids are also believe to improve learning ability in children, decrease cholesterol, lower blood pressure, reduce blood clotting, enhance immune function and improve arthritis symptoms.
Be wary that not all fish oils and omega-3 supplements are the same. Some contain incorrect ratios of EPA and DHA, or not nearly enough of either. Choosing a supplement can also be a shot in the dark – how do you know which one is right for you?
Cut out the guessing game and get your Essential Fatty Acid level tested. Thanks to new technology and our fast and easy-to-understand interpretation, you will be able to specifically identify your exact EFA levels. We will create a personalised supplementation schedule, and steer you in the right direction to improve your health. Click here to find out more about the Emed Essential Fatty Acid Level Test.
Combine this with the Emed Consultation. This detailed consultation will empower you by identifying which areas of your health need addressing, and will generate a personalised supplement plan to get you back on the road to good health. Click here for more information.
What else can I do?
- Taking a fish oil? Great. But is it good enough? Many of us will instantly choose quantity over quality – the 1000 capsule special pack is great value, so who cares if it isn’t as good, right? Wrong. Cheaper fish oils often contain higher levels of contaminants, like mercury and arsenic, and low levels of omega-3’s. Visit Emed’s Best Fish Oils for the strongest, purest and most effective fish oils available.
- If you’re worried about heart disease – whether you want to avoid it, or you already have it and want to get healthier, as well as taking a fish oil supplement EVERYDAY, you should invest in some Co-Enzyme Q10. CoQ10 is pivotal for heart health. This enzyme is crucial for energy production, heart function and tissue health. Don’t cheat on your health – visit Emed’s Best CoQ10 Supplements for a range of potent – and effective supplements.
- Is your diet heart healthy? Eating junk, high-fat, and high-sodium foods could be a recipe for disaster. Clean up your diet and feel a whole lot better sooner. Read ‘Health Promoting Nutrition‘ and ‘Why Change Our Diet?‘ for some great starting points.
- How often do you exercise? We should all aim to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Not only is it important for your heart health; it will also keep your weight down, keep your blood pumping and help you feel more energetic.
- Why Fish Oils Aren’t All the Same
- Vitamin D the Key to Diabetic’s Heart Health
- Too Much Alcohol Can Cause Deadly Heart Disease
- Heart Attack Risk Boosted by Low Vitamin D Levels